Purpose and Legal Basis
ECCP processes personal data for the sole purposes of its aims, activities and Services, including:
- Registration, invoicing and billing of participants to the ECCP’s events and activities.
- Membership applications and management, including membership fees invoicing.
- Enabling users and ECCP to interact and communicate with each other.
- Informing ECCP events participants on ECCP related events and activities.
- Improving users experience on our website.
- Authenticating, securing and collecting statistics on remote connections.
Personal Data is collected on the legal basis of prior informed consent, and where applicable on legitimate interest basis, such as security of the online services.
ECCP avoids collecting unnecessary personal data and follows “privacy by design” and “data minimization” policies for data processing and retention.
How Data Can Be Collected
ECCP can receive information and personal data through its websites, email notifications, and other interactions means, and may include:
- Information you provide about yourself when you use our Services.
- Information collected automatically and shared by your device for connectivity, such as your IP address, software configurations, etc. Such data may be logged for security reasons.
Policy Towards Children
In principle, our Services are not directed to persons under 16 years of age. Any participant to an ECCP event who is a minor of age shall have a parental agreement before sharing any personal data with us. Anyone who becomes aware that someone under 16 years of age has provided us with personal data without a parental agreement should contact us.
Data Storage and Retention Period
ECCP stores its data in Europe (mainly Switzerland). The data retention period is minimized and data that are not useful anymore are deleted. The data retention period is determined by taking into account the legal, security, management and other legitimate Service requirements.
Recipients, Sharing and Transfer of Information
Personal data are processed with care and strict rules are applied to avoid any unnecessary data transfers to third parties or to geographic locations that may expose the data at risk. We may share personal data in the following cases:
- With Data Processors and Partners for our Services and activities, such as online payment solutions, onsite registration process, or data storage infrastructure. The list of data processors is available by simple request to the data protection officer.
- When Required by Law or for legitimate purpose, such as: protecting the legal rights and safety of ECCP, its partners, and the users of its Services.
- For Reporting: We usually use aggregated and anonymized data when reporting on the participants to our events. However, names and affiliations of participants attending ECCP as keynote speakers, chairs, moderators, speakers or officials may appear in public reports, press releases and through other information means.
If you subscribe to our newsletter
You can cancel subscriptions to our newsletters at any time. To do so, either send us an e-mail or follow the link at the end of the newsletter.
We use physical, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard information in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. Please note, however, that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect the information we maintain, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us. If you identify any weakness in our security, please inform us.
Data Subject Rights
Users have rights on their personal data. You may contact our Data Protection Officer in order to assert your rights as a Data Subject, including the right to access, rectify, erase your personal data; the right to withdraw consent and to restrict or object to the processing of your personal data; and the right to portability of your personal data. Data Subjects also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in case their rights would be violated.
Information on Data Processing
ECCP does not use the personal data collected on this website to perform automated decision making (as defined in Art. 22 of the GDPR) or to profile the data subjects. Some online services and tasks can be automated, such as registrations to our events or newsletter, but they are not based on analysing the personal data or profile of the data subject.
Changes to this Policy
Data Controller Contact Details
The European Centre for Certification and Privacy (hereafter “ECCP”) is located in Luxembourg at Rue Robert Stumper 7, 2557 Luxembourg.
The Data Controller and its Data Protection Officer can be reached by regular post mail or through the following contact form.
General Information about Cookies
The following is a general overview of what Cookies are and is for informational purposes only. The detailed information on the cookies we use on this site can be found below.
There are two types of cookies depending on its lifespan:
- Session cookies are temporary cookie files and are erased after you close your browser. Once you restart your browser and come back to the same site, you will not be recognised by the website and a new session cookie will be generated for you.
- Persistent cookies are lasting cookie files and stay in your browser for the time period contained within the cookie’s file or until you delete them manually.
Cookies can also be classified depending on the cookie owner:
- First party cookies are placed by us in order for the website to function properly and to ensure the best possible experience for its users.
- Third party cookies, which are owned by sites and web servers different from the website that you are currently visiting.
Depending on its purpose, cookies can be divided into the following groups:
- Essential cookies (technical) that are necessary for the proper functioning of the site. An example of such cookie can be login cookies or shopping cart cookies.
- Functional cookies, which are needed to recognise returning users’ and remember their preferences like a language choice.
- Analysis cookies used to collect aggregate information on the number of visitors and the pattern of visits to the Services. The data controller may use such aggregate information to identify security threats, analyse trends and information on visitors, and administer the Services.
- Behavioural advertising cookies, which gather information on users’ behaviour to, for example, allow for the most effective advertisement management.
Cookies we use on the Privacy Symposium website
According to the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), users must be informed about the cookies used by the websites they visit. Users must provide their prior informed consent, except for some technical cookies, such as:
- Cookie analytics insofar as they are used directly by the website manager to collect aggregate information on the number of visitors and the pattern of visits to the website.
- Browsing or Session cookies used to log-in to the website.
- Functional cookies, which allow users to navigate as a function of certain pre-determined criteria such as language.
For Profiling cookies, namely those aimed at creating user profiles and used to send advertising messages in line with the preferences shown by the user during navigation, the user’s prior consent is necessary.
Changes to this Policy